Friday, May 18, 2012

Where again, did my years go?

I'm 80 & where did my years go?
what have I done in my life -oh?
thought I'd never reach this age
i'd remain in my infantile stage
but.I'm 80 & where.did those years go.
who took an iron to my face & pressed
so deeply I dont.recognize this mess
I search beyond the shallow pond
beneath the grey brittle fuzz that was once blonde
& find nothin else to boast about
other than 80 birthdays- but growth? i doubt
in which cave did I hibernate
what hospital treated my coma fate?
I fear.. I awoke too late
post departure I've reached the gate!
 I rock my wicker chair
& feel a stale, long-retired tear
cuz. I'm 80 & i don't know how I got here
how'd journey go so fast?
i thought.my youth would.forever last
didn't dream the future converts into past
thought I could rock the over-sized onesie
float in pink florals with bows above the knee
but at eighty, they no longer suit me
I wish I made more of each year
when my mind was still fresh and clear
left a mark for the passengers in the rear
 to face the end with pride & not fear
I viewed life -In my defense
 as one long run on sentence
but it was written on limited space
and this unpunctuated statement also has an end
death is not an out of vogue trend
instead I'm losing this accelerated race
it took 80 cakes to melt in my stomach like snow
and thousands more candles to blow
yet little difference between each did I know
everything stayed the same
never upgraded myself to brand name
another season went, 'nother calendar came
80 years of burnt time
danced about through robotic pantomime
of ignorance seen as bliss
signals constantly missed
 naivete is dangerous as crime
and now
as I wipe my sweating sparse brow
I've got nothing for myself to show
where oh where did my years go?

No comments:

Post a Comment